Saturday, August 1, 2009

#88 Read 5 non-fiction books


I read my first non-fiction book for the 101.

I read Through the Storm: A Read Story of Fame and Family in a Tabloid World by Lynne Spears.

This was the review I posted on Goodreads.com

Not really sure why I decided to read this book. I'm not really a fan of Britney Spears. While I like her music, I don't really like her all that much. And I don't get into the tabloid stuff, and I don't have to know what is going on with the stars.

For whatever reason, I decided to read it. Maybe just to get the mother's perspective on such a crazy family. Of course everything the media reported wasn't accurate, so getting a first hand account of the family's decisions sets things straight.

While the book certainly sheds some light on why some things happened, and background info that is otherwise lost, I just didn't seem to really care about Lynne Spears or the Spears Family. I lost a lot of respect for her when she kept defending her husband's alcoholism and preferred to live in denial. And perhaps looking back now she realizes her mistakes with him, but I just have a problem when she says that she doesn't believe in divorce, so therefore wouldn't leave her husband. Even when that is what her kids wanted her to do.

I could appreciate that Lynne Spears recognized her mistakes and limitations and wasn't afraid to share them with the world. While I know that there are more than 1 side to every story, she wasn't shy about her version of events.

I've read other non-fiction books that I preferred. I'm hoping that that the other 4 I read will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment