Sunday, August 30, 2009

#88 Read 5 non-fiction books


My 2nd choice was Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs.

I love the show Deadliest Catch. It airs from April to July on Discovery Channel and showcases 5 crab boats that fish the Bering Sea for king and opilio crab. H, myself, and a friend, S, have become addicted to this show over the last 3 years.

This book is written by 2 brothers who co-captain the fishing vessel, Time Bandit. They are one of the 5 boats featured on the show. Having seen what life is like for these captains and their crew I was very interested in seeing what they had to say.

The book is pretty good. Definitely some great lines in the book. "I have give you boys every means at my disposal to kill yourselves, and you have failed." I also gained some insight into why these guys are the way they are and background that isn't divulged in front of the cameras.

While I don't necessarily love these guys, you can't help but see that they are the product of how they were raised and they don't make any apologies for that. They do what they love, and that is fish.

I'm sad that this season of Deadliest Catch is over, and I can't wait to see what next season has in store. I know the Hillstrand Brothers won't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment